Building brand preference & online buzz.
Rare HQ worked with Surfsup New Zealand for 3-months over their peak season (December 2016 to March 2017) to develop their online presence and build awareness and engagement over Facebook and Instagram.
The results were that Surfsup saw a 3x increase in sales from the same period in 2015/16.
The Social Goals.
Surfsup NZ wanted to use Facebook and Instagram to spread the word about its brand and tourism offering, as well as promote a series of events that they host and sponsor. Surfsup’s main social goals were to:
- Increase their follower/fan base.
- Build brand awareness and recognition both domestically and internationally.
- Increase the volume of content for greater awareness and engagement.
- Drive more people to book online for their tours.
- Create a passionate community of followers that will engage beyond the summer, and ‘buy’ off-season.
The first stage to building a stronger online presence was to create a main Surfsup brand page on both Facebook and Instagram to act as a hub for not only the brand’s multiple locations but as the core destination for social engagement, promotion of events, and ultimately, tour bookings.
On Facebook, Rare HQ:
- Updated the brand’s information and visual appearance, and achieved page verification.
- Created a Facebook Business account to track ad spend, results and ROI.
- Set up “Locations” functionality and merged the various Surfsup location pages with the new Surfsup New Zealand brand page.
- Created a “Book Now” tab to link directly with the booking platform.
On Instagram, Rare HQ:
- Converted the existing account into a Business Account.
- Updated the brand’s information and visual appearance.
Facebook Ads and post boosting were utilised to increase page followers, generate interest and RSVPs for its events, and increase awareness of its organisation:
- Targeted individuals by location and age, such as people between the ages of 25 and 45 located within 50 miles of Whangamata.
- Targeted Likes and Interests such as ”surfing”, “paddleboarding”, “kayaking”, “adventure travel”, “ecotoursim”, and “New Zealand” to attract people who would be interested in Surfsup’s tourism offerings and events.
- Promoted localised content and events to encourage local people to participate in events, build brand recognition, and spread word of mouth around the beauty of Whenuakura (Donut) Island and the Coromandel.
Engagement was increased on Surfsup’s Facebook and Instagram accounts in several ways:
- Posted high resolution local Coromandel and Whangamata imagery, with a consistent tone of voice.
- Used question-based captions to spark conversations.
- Active community management including responding to comments and reviews, and sharing user generated content (UGC).
- Utilised unique Surfsup hashtags and encouraged followers to use on their own content to be featured.
- Ran a Facebook Autumn competition that encouraged users to share the post, like the page and tag in friends.
To continue to expand its reach and engagement on Facebook and Instagram, Surfsup New Zealand utilised advertising, and post and event boosting:
- Ran Page ad Facebook campaigns and Instagram sponsored stories to defined target audiences.
- Boosted events to drive interest and ultimately RSVPs.
- Boosted visual content to gain an increased reach.
Key campaign results.
The key results are from a 3-month campaign period, from December 2016 – March 2017.
INCREASE IN SALES (DEC – JAN 2017)
IMPRESSIONS ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
PEOPLE ENGAGED ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
NEW FOLLOWERS/LIKES ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
2,039 LIKES + COMMENTS + SHARES
2,115 POST CLICKS
879 LIKES + COMMENTS + SHARES
1,000 POST CLICKS
705 LIKES + COMMENTS + SHARES
900 POST CLICKS